In a long overdue conversation with a lady I’ve known for years but never met in person, I invited Kenna (or Kendra depending on how well you know her) Coté of Modern Soap Making to come on the show and chat with me. She was in California for a short trip, and said she wanted to visit me in the LBC.
I gave her the short tour of my city, then we planted ourselves in a local park, and recorded this conversation about soap, buses, and giving away your business so you can focus energy on a project that she’s more passionate about.
In this chat, make sure to pay close attention to how she instructs her students on how to find their market, and differentiate themselves by hyper-niching. She also talks about why it’s important to charge what your worth. If you’re a maker looking to make a living from your made stuff, then you need to get paid enough to continue making.
And then you sell all your stuff, and travel around the country in a bus.
- Modern Soap Making
- Kenna’s former company, Gratitude Soap
- Shout out to Andreea Ayers of Launch Grow Joy
- The one soap maker I forced Kenna to pick above all others – Honestly Simple Soaps
- The man who had no name… until I remembered it – Nick Unsworth
- Fight Club soap making scene
- The Art of Manliness
- Ozzy Osbourne urinated on The Alamo
- Music: As Good as It Gets by Sudden Suspension
- Bad Timing Records, 2015 Summer Sampler
- The Descendents documentary, Filmage
- Listen to all of the Descendents music!